Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Anchors Aweigh!

I love a good design challenge.  And masculine cards already challenge me. On top of that, tell me there is a theme attached to this challenge and you really have me going. That is exactly what a friend challenged me to do: create a birthday card for her sailor grandson. I know, the nautical trend is huge in scrapbooking at this moment. However, I prior to this moment had not glanced in that particular direction.

So off to the my craft room I went looking for something to inspire me and help me reach my goal: a card with a nautical, more specifically, naval theme. I looked through my Cricut library and stumbled upon the cartridge Stand and Salute. The cartridge was perfect and I felt my creativity starting to come alive.

I used the anchor with the globe die cut. I cut the image twice (for added depth) and embossed the anchor to give it dimension. Next, I inked the die cut for a distressed look. Finding and using a map patterned paper was essential in tying together the expansive nature of naval missions. The finishing touch were fastener brads bound together with blue jute. I think the finished card turned out well.

Thank you for stopping by and happy scrapping,

K



Card: 5x5
Card Supplies:

Paper: K&Company, Basic Grey (Hey You!), MME (Lime Twist), Recollections
Cartridge: Stand and Salute
Embossing Folder: Tim Holtz (Tree Bark)
Ink: Vintage Photo
Embellishments: Brads, Basic Grey; Hardware, Stampin' Up; Jute, American Crafts; Sentiment, Papertrey Ink; Wooden Veneer, Studio Calico



Join the conversation!